Strategic Plan Background
Jigme Namgyel Engineering College, formerly known as the Royal Bhutan Polytechnic/Royal Bhutan Institute of Technology/Jigme Namgyel Polytechnic is one of the constituent colleges of the Royal University of Bhutan. The College was established on 22nd Feb, 1974, although infrastructure development works began as early as 1972 coinciding with the 3rd Five Year development plan of the Royal Government of Bhutan.
Till early 2000, the then Royal Bhutan Polytechnic was the only institute of its kind responsible for training and developing mid-level technical manpower in the country. In the year 2000, the college had to be moved to the then Royal Technical Institute’s campus in Rinchending, Phuentsholing due to security reasons in the south eastern part of the country. While at Rinchending, the college introduced degree (bachelors) level programmes in Civil and Electrical Engineering in 2001. However, the institute along with the diploma programmes got relocated to its original campus in Dewathang in June 2006. The degree programmes remained at Rinchending and are being offered by the new college, College of Science and Technology. The institute has been renamed as Jigme Namgyel Engineering College since 2015 with the introduction of a degree programme in the institute 2015 as the name now represents the functions and the level of the academic programmes in the college.
Jigme Namgyel Engineering College currently offers the following programmes:
- Diploma in Civil Engineering (since 1974)
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering (since 1974)
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (since 1988)
- Diploma in Computer System and Network (July 2012)
- Diploma in Electronics and Communication Engineering (July 2013)
- Diploma in Surveying (July 2014)
- Diploma in Materials and Procurement Management (July 2015)
- Bachelor of Engineering in Power Engineering (July 2015)
- Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering (July 2019)
- Bachelor of Engineering in Surveying and Geoinformatics (July 2019)