CENTRE FOR LIGHTING AND ENERGY EFFICIENCY STUDIES
Jigme Namgyel Engineering College is one of the constituent colleges under the Royal University of Bhutan. The college was founded in 1972 and started offering various diploma level programmes since 1974. Currently the College offers eight different programmes, namely B.E in Power Engineering, Diploma in Civil Engineering, Diploma in Electrical Engineering, Diploma in Mechanical Engineering, Diploma in Computer Hardware and Networking, Diploma in Electronics and Communication Engineering, Diploma in Surveying and Diploma in Materials and Procurement Management.
The College has introduced B.E. in Power Engineering in July 2015 with the prime objective to provide specialized trainings that suit the needs of power sectors and industries in the country. The programme has major focuses on power, energy and energy efficiency studies. The college will be introducing B.E. in Mechanical Engineering from July 2019 where energy and energy efficiency is a specific focus area of the programme.
Further, to enhance the research activities, JNEC applied for joint project with Universities in Europe on the theme “Promoting Energy Efficient Lighting Education in Nepal and Bhutan (ELNAB)”, which was approved for European Union funding. Through this project, there are components for Energy Efficient Lighting Laboratory development apart from human resource and research capacity development.
In order to enhance the quality of teaching learning as well as the research work on lighting and energy studies, JNEC has planned to establish a research centre under specific field as “Lighting and Energy Efficiency Studies (LEES)”. This research centre will strongly supplement Electrical Engineering, Power Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering programmes of the college. The centre will also serve as the platform for applied research project within the country as well as joint projects with CST, stakeholders and other universities.
VISION & MISSION
To be Center of Excellence in Lighting and Energy Efficiency Education, Research and Development
- Educate and disseminate the importance of energy efficiency in lighting through teaching, learning, research, and consultancy services.
- Create awareness and promote the usage of energy efficient appliances for energy conservation.
- Provide access to relevant resources for Academic and Research purposes
- Develop facilities and provide access for consultancy services in energy efficiency application.
- Establish links with similar centre abroad for collaborative research and development
Your Title Goes Here
Establish facilities with competent human resources to make the centre vibrant and dynamic to;
- Support the existing programme,
- Create platform for applied research and
- Initiate and coordinate multiple joint research and development work with other college, stakeholders and university
- Participate for relevant research and capacity development activities
- Initiate and conduct capacity development activities in relevant areas
- Coordinate seminars and conferences.
The centre will focus on following core focus areas;
- Lighting design and testing
- Energy Efficiency Studies
- Sustainable use of energy
- Energy and Environment
- Green Building
Under each of the above core areas, centre will thrive to build research facilities, capacity development as and when necessary and carry out research and consultancy works. The developed resources will also provide better platform for academic as well as research works by students, faculties and staff.