A total of three Technology and Innovation Support Centers (TISCs) in the country have been established in the following institutions:
- Jigme Namgyel Engineering College, Dewathang,
- College of Science and Technology, Rinchending, and
- Thimphu TechPark Ltd., Thimphu.
An institutional agreement for establishing these three TISCs have been signed by the Presidents of JNEC, CST and CEO of Thimphu Techpark Ltd. with the Department of Intellectual Property in Thimphu on June 20, 2018. Additionally, the service level agreement (SLA) has been signed between the Ministry of Economic Affairs and World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
The key objectives of establishing TISC are to:
- Strengthen the institutional capacity of universities and research and development(R&D) institutions to conduct patent and technology search, patent drafting and assistance in patent prosecution; and
- Increase accessibility by universities and R&D institutions to scientific and technical information.
- Provide basic information on industrial property laws, management and strategy, and technology commercialization and marketing.
The signing ceremony was graced by His Excellency Lyonpo Lekey Dorji, Minister for Economic Affairs, Secretary (MoEA), Vice Chancellor (RUB), Director Generals, Directors and staff from the Ministry of Economic Affairs.
The President of JNEC was joined by Asst. Professor Karma Drukpa, Coordinator of Center for Appropriate Technology of JNEC.