Department of Information Technology
The Department of Information Technology (DIT) was instituted in 2008 with aims to cater the needs of infrastructure and services related to ICT and also to work towards designing, developing and offering courses and programmes in the field of Information Technology.
The two year full-time Diploma in Computer Hardware and Networking programme was introduced in July 2012 based on the needs and demands of ICT related study and facility in the country. The aim of the programme is to provide technical skills and expertise in the fast growing field of Computer Hardware and Network Technology.
The department has a pool of qualified and experienced faculty and technicians in addition to the excellent teaching and learning facilities. In the future, department is planning to introduce specialized programmes both at diploma and bachelor level; currently the department is working on designing and developing a specialized bachelor level programme to be launched and offered by July 2018.
The following core modules are being offered for the programme:
|Fundamentals of Programming with C||System Analysis and Design|
|Introduction to Database||Web Technology and Design|
|Computer Hardware Troubleshooting and Maintenance||Routing and switching|
|Fundamentals of Server Technology||Information Security Management|
|Linux System Administration||Windows Active Directory|
|Physical Networking||Network Management and Monitoring|
|Protocols and Internetworking Standards||Designing with Dreamweaver|
|Linux Network Services Administration||Windows Server System Administration|
Practical & Field based Curriculum
- Project Work, practical and research based project in the final semester
- Industrial Tour/Field Trip/Study Tour- Exposure to familiarize learning in context.
After the completion of the two year course, the graduates are expected to be able to:
- Work with the office packages.
- Troubleshoot, assemble, disassemble and repair Personal Computers (Desktops and Laptops).
- Install, configure and administer Linux and Windows servers (DHCP, DNS, Web, FTP, etc) and Windows Active Directory
- Perform UTP cabling and fiber optic cabling using the right tools and machines.
- Design, test and implement networks
- Develop web pages and web applications using standard tools and practices
- Implement routing and switching of IP networks
- Secure the network services of an organization
- Manage and Administer Website and networks
The course provides a plethora of opportunities in different sectors such as banking, telecommunication, education, film industry, media and private firms. Some of the various careers options that the graduates will fit in would be
- Computer Hardware Engineer/Technicians
- Network administrator/Network Engineer
- Server and System Administrators
- Desktop support technicians/IT help desk support
- Customer support/ front desk officer
- Computer maintenance technicians
For further information about the programme
Head of the Department